söndag 31 augusti 2014

Lindesnes Lighthouse

Day 42 - Flekkefjord - Lindesnes
I was on the road just before 8. Today it was also hills up and down and a lot of tunnels, some of them really scary and long. But eventually I came to Spangereid and I stopped for a coffee because now it is only 12 km to the goal and I wanted to hold that feeling for a while so I enjoyed my coffee and it's hard to describe the feeling when you are so close. Then I went out there and it felt so good to see the lighthouse. I went as far as I could but in the end there were stairs so I couldn't bring my bike up all the way in front of the lighthouse. Anyway I asked people to take pictures for me. The nature is really beautiful out here. (Not like in Smygehuk which is Swedens southernmost point and really boring). I love the landscape here! And there were small lighthouses all around, I think it was some kind of art project. Then I met a woman who works in the entry when I came down and she told me I must sign the log book. That's really cool - they have this book for everyone who travels between North cape and Lindesnes. Sometimes one also get to be interviewed by the lighthouse keeper and end up on their website. She was really nice and helped me find out about buses from Spangereid to Kristiansand. Then I went to the cafe for some coffee and charging. I also met John from US who travels with his motorcycle and he was going to Bergen. When the cafe closed at 5 pm I went to find a tentspotm so I set an early camp today and it feels really good but also kind of weird to think that this is my last night in the tent on this trip. Distance today: 85 km

Tunnels passed: 6

A sense of satisfaction.

Reflections.
Dereclict house.
So close...
Arriving.
Photo by unknown.
Stairs the last part...
The cast iron tower.
Photo by unknown.
The old coal fired light from 1822.
View from the iron cast tower.
Small version lighthouses.
Moomin liked this one the most.

Lighthouse art.
John.
Photo by John.
My last campsite.
The name Lindesnes comes from old norwegian language and means "where the land sinks into the sea." The waters around Norway's southern tip is where two oceans meet and the current and wind rules over life and death. 

In february 27, 1656 Norway's first lighthouse beacons were lit on Lindesnes. It consisted of 30 candles burning in the top of a three-story tower. This was a bad solution and constant complaints from mariners led to that the lighthouse was extinguished after a few months of operation. Not until 1725 the lighthouse service was resumed. 

The cast iron observation tower on Lindesnes with its 16 meters is not particularly high but the light drop is 50 meters above sea level and the light can be seen 20 nautical miles (37 km) in clear weather.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar